My hot water is fixed! Just in time too. Last night I went into the woods with most of the international students for dinner and a bonfire. It was a great time but naturally, I ended up covered in soot and smelling like smoke. I'm starting to learn where things are in the city too. I've had separate outings to the "Bear Pub" and the גרנד קניון (Grand Canyon) mall.
The mall outing was a near disaster, but funny anyway. I went with a group of guys from the trip, taking the 24 bus down the Carmel. We did not know that the bus does not go up to the entrance to the mall, but rather it stops about a 5 minute walk from the entrance. We weren't sure when we were about to pass the mall anyhow because the streets in Haifa are winding and roll with the hills. When we realized we had probably passed it, I asked the bus driver where to get off; he responded by yelling at us for not getting off earlier, and throwing us off the bus!
We ended up walking back up the mountain, and had to run across the street on several occasions. In Israel, this is a death wish. Luckily everyone arrived in one piece and I was finally able to outfit my apartment with some food, cleaning supplies and a bathroom rug.
This morning was the Hebrew placement test. It was tough but I think I will be placed pretty high. The Professor giving the oral exam seemed to indicate so much. I'll know later tonight at any rate. My first class at the University was on Talmud. It was pretty cool, and definitely not what I expected. I figured the teacher would be a super serious black hatter. A real West Rogers Park type, only east of the pond. Way wrong. While clearly religious (he wore a knit kippa), he was fresh, entertaining and pretty funny. I think I am going to like this class.
Just one thing I got a laugh out of: Classes around here are scheduled to start on the hour. For example, this Talmud class is scheduled for 12-3 on Monday. The class (and all other classes at the University) actually start 15 minutes later. I know its a stereotype and all, but how Israeli is that?
Sunday, October 14, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I'm so glad you liked your first class.Off to a positive start. Love, Mom
stereotypes have to come from somewhere my friend.
Hope you're having a good time.
Post a Comment