Arabic class is finally underway, and I think I'm going to enjoy it. Because there are only 2 international students with any Arabic experience, my class is tiny. This will mean plenty of advantages for me. For one, individual attention from the professor is guaranteed. My professor's name is Rina Charash. Beyond that, she plans on letting us dictate the pace of the class. Therefore, there is no syllabus and our aptitude and ability to learn will determine how far and fast we go with Arabic. Plus, she is a very sweet woman! We will be having coffee and cookies or cake every day with class, and she told us to feel free to bring munchies in to share
if/when we choose. Maybe if I ever get a toaster oven, I will bake something.
One experience in Israel that is identical to its American counterpart is the feeling that you are hemorrhaging cash at the campus bookstore. Books here are plenty expensive, and unlike at American universities, there is no book buyback/used book option. Everyone is forced to buy a new book every semester. I would love to get in on the educational materials mafia in Israel. Sounds like it's a lucrative field.
My schedule is full now so here it is:
Monday: Arabic - 8:30 to 10, Hebrew - 10:15 to 12, Rabbinic Literature - 12:15 to 3
Tuesday: Hebrew - 8:15 to 10, Arabic - 10:30 to 12, Terrorism and Responses - 3:15 to 6
Wednesday: Hebrew - 10:15 to 12 (Whew)
Thursday: Hebrew - 8:15 to 10, Arabic - 10:30 to 12, Arab-Israeli Relations - 3:15 to 6
In 4 years in Champaign I never took an 8 AM class. On the other hand, Haifa is definitely not Champaign. Guess I should count my blessings. Tomorrow I leave for an overnight tiyul in the Negev. Stories and pictures are sure to follow. Shabbat shalom.
Thursday, October 18, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment