Tuesday, February 19, 2008

The Return Of Moadon Bishul

We're back, and it feels so good! After a long intersession where our dinners were usually limited to 3 or 4 people, we've moved the day of the cooking club to Tuesday and made the effort to invite a lot of the new international students tonight. It paid off, big time. Because it was a cold and rainy night, we decided to make a big pot of chili. We ended up with 11 people at dinner, maybe our biggest since we began this whole thing. People meshed and the conversation flowed seamlessly, the food was hearty and tasty, and everyone went home happy. I think we're on to something good.

Now for something totally different. Last night I was sitting in the lobby of the dorms at my computer, talking to Elliot Gordon, another new American student. He told me he was from Woodmere, NY. I know a girl from Woodmere, Sheryl Gordon, who I went on Ramah Seminar with many summers back. I rolled the Jewish Geography dice and asked him if he knew her. His response was classic: "She's only my older sister! You're Eddie from Chicago..... You were at my house!" And indeed, I was. I was quite surprised although I probably shouldn't have been. This stuff just has a way of happening. It is a small, small Jewish world.

No comments: