Thursday, January 10, 2008

Shut Out

Today is the Islamic New Year, called Muharram. I certainly wish I had known about that two days ago, as I could have avoided a whole lot of crap. As you all know, my trip to Jordan was supposed to begin this morning at the Arava Desert border crossing between Eilat and Aqaba, Jordan. I am still in Israel, back in Haifa in fact.

Lina can barely contain her enthusiasm for Jordan.

We were cold but excited when we arrived to Eilat this morning. Our bus got in around 5:15 in the morning after driving all night. I must have slept because I don't remember any of the desert on the way down, but it wasn't good sleep. Even so, everyone was ready to roll, so we started walking. Unfortunately, we didn't exactly know where to go either. After about 45 minutes of walking (where we nearly walked onto an army base), we hailed cabs to take us to the border crossing. At the time I was thrilled, because the ride was cheap and crossing is way outside the city, and not an easy walk on a cold, windy day. The cabs took off and we made for the closed crossing, assuming it just hadn't opened for the day yet. Then I read this:


I think I had to read it three times to truly take it in. The first time, I was simply confused and nonplussed, while the second time through I think I didn't comprehend what it meant because I didn't want to. However, on yet another inspection, the message was completely fucking clear. Nowhere was this printed, announced or advertised except on this small plaque hanging on the gates of the border crossing. The cabbies didn't know about it, and when we asked about the holiday at the information booth back in the city, they didn't know about it either. In fact, here is a link to the Israel Airports Authority website: There is no mention of it anywhere. We could not have planned for this if we tried.

We might have been stranded, but God damn it, this was a photo op!

The trek back to town was not fun. It was still before regular business hours so no one was really out, and we were plenty far removed from the city center, so no taxis to hail. We had to climb back over several steep hills and cut through an agricultural plant before finding the highway, and then climbed out of a ravine up to the road where we finally found a gas station to wait in until a cab came by. It was about as windy a morning as I can remember, the kind that just cuts through your clothing. We discussed sticking around in Eilat for the day and then going back tomorrow to head on to Petra, but if you can't be outside, there isn't much to do in Eilat. It is a resort city with nice beaches, and not a whole lot else. Besides, half of us had to be back in Israel by tomorrow morning anyway. We made the decision to come back north, on what would turn out to be a 7 hour bus ride. I suppose I will find this funny in a few days, but right now not so much.

Shit.

No comments: