The dorm is nothing to write home about. First of all, none of my roommates have arrived yet. One of them is in the international school like me, so I assume I will meet him very soon. At the latest we have to be here by Sunday for orientation. The other three are Israeli and I don't know when they will arrive. School for the regular students doesn't begin until October 21st.
I haven't yet figured out how to use my hot water. I have a feeling I am doing something wrong, or at least I hope I am. There is a switch on the wall next to the bathroom that I think is supposed to heat the water, but I turned it on 45 minutes before showering and the water could charitably be called cool. At least this will make it easy for me to conserve! I even boiled water in the coffee pot so I could shave comfortably.
The area the dorms are in is beautiful. I have a garden right outside my bedroom window. There are trees everywhere, its warm and sunny, and the whole campus smells like flowers. I know winter and the rains will arrive eventually, but I don't mind that this weather will linger for a while.
I haven't had much of an opportunity to speak Hebrew yet. Most Israelis are not here yet, and everyone in the international school is speaking English. There are fewer Americans here than I expected. Many people are Canadian or from Europe. I did meet a girl from Lakeview and a guy from Wilmette, and also another guy who goes to school at DePaul. It's like I never left home at all!
There is a Shabbat dinner tonight for all the international students, and then a trip tomorrow morning outside of campus. I haven't figured out where things are here yet, but hopefully soon I will be able to start exploring the city on my own.
4 comments:
Loved reading your story! Be well and enjoy yourself. Love, Aunty Shelley and Uncle Harry
Hi Eddie: I read your commentary and it was very interesting. Hope things improve in your living quarters..I'm looking forward to seeing you. Bye for now.. Baubie
Now I don't have to bother your parents about updates!
I get to read and see first hand all of your experiences.Keep writing!
Enjoy
Debbie Dragon
Eddie- I love that the light rail gets you your jollies. I also love your description of the socioeconomic stratification and trends associated with it in Hafia. Only you would write such a thing on their blog; but again this is why I tune in everyday to read.
Post a Comment